Course Fees Policy

Issue Date | 1st April 2016


Where possible we try to cover the costs of all our courses. However, we can't always do this for all courses and all individuals. Please read below to find out if you're eligible for a free course and what other support we can provide. Please get in touch with us if you have any queries. We will consider all cases with care and examine your needs individually.


  • The government provides ELATT with funding towards the cost of providing education for all students aged 19+. This means some students will not need to pay for their learning. However, for most students, this government funding only covers a portion of the cost of their education and students (or employers) will need to pay the cost themselves.
  • Where possible, ELATT also fundraises from local councils, donors and trusts and foundations to pay for courses for students in most need of support.
  • Students aged 24 or over studying higher level courses (generally Level 3 and above) do not qualify for government funding but may be eligible for a government backed loan through the Students Loan Company.
  • Students under 19 do not pay any fees.

To find out which group you fall into and what further financial support may be available to you, please read the following sections carefully.

Am I eligible for a free course?

  • The basic facts
    • There are no course fees on any of our English skills or Maths skills courses, including Functional Skills and GCSEs
    • All ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses are part-funded for UK residents (you will need to pay 50% of the course fee)
  • Are you currently receiving a Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) benefit?

    For most courses, there are no course fees if you are currently receiving a Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) benefit. This applies if one of the following is relevant to you:

    • You are currently an unemployed student (studying less than 16 hours per week) and receiving contribution based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
    • You are currently unemployed and receiving income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
    • You are currently employed and receiving Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Are you unemployed and/or on benefits?

    For most courses, there are no course fees if you are currently unemployed and receiving certain income based benefits and can sign a declaration that you need skills training to enter employment. Examples of these could be:

    • You are receiving Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Universal Credit
    • You are the partner of someone receiving Working Tax Credit
    • You are, or your partner is, receiving Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only)
    • You are an unwaged dependant (using Job Centre Plus definition)
    • You are an asylum seeker receiving income based benefit/assistance, or their dependant

    Please note that Incapacity Benefit, Disability Living Allowance, Child Tax Credit or Care Allowance do not give entitlement to zero course fees in this section.

  • Are you aged 19-23?

    There are no course fees for you if you adhere to ALL of the following:

    • You are aged 19-23 from 31st August
    • You do not already hold a full Level 2 or higher qualification
    • You are now enrolling on your first Foundation Level 1 qualification OR first full Level 2 qualification OR first full Level 3 qualification

    Please note, this does not apply for ESOL courses. These will always be part-funded for UK residents. If you are not sure about the meaning of any of these terms or the level of the qualifications you already hold, please speak to one of our advisors.

  • Evidence requirement for fee remission:

    You must produce acceptable evidence at enrollment to guarantee your free course. It is your responsibility to inform us if your financial circumstances subsequently change. Examples of acceptable evidence are:

    For Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) benefits (JSA or ESA):

    • A document showing you still receive JSA or ESA dated within the last 3 months
    • A standard letter which we (the college? - not sure about this) can produce regarding JSA or ESA, once it has been stamped by your Benefit/JCP office

    For unemployed and receiving benefits:

    • A document showing you still receive income support
    • A Job Centre Plus/DWP letter with income support details, dated within the last 3 months
    • An older Job Centre Plus/DWP letter plus recent full bank statement showing benefit amounts
    • A housing or Council Tax Benefit letter for the current year from your council
  • Other cases where course fees may be covered by additional funding

    Below is a list of our priority groups, for which ELATT has secured additional funding:

    • Unemployed students in our priority groups
    • Non-EU national women who have come to the UK on family reunion and spouse visas
    • Vulnerable adults referred to us by partnership agencies
    • Residents identified with priority needs funded by local borough funding

Why do I need to pay full fees?

  • For some courses we need to charge the full fee because the government does not fund the type of course or the level. For example, Food Hygiene courses, Health and Safety courses and EFL (English as a Foreign Language) courses. For a list of government funded courses please visit
  • If you do not have the correct residency status we may not be able to offer you funding. We are unable to provide courses if you're on a Student Visa or Tier 4 Visa
  • If you're aged 24 or over, studying higher level courses (generally Level 3 and above) you do not qualify for government funding but may be eligible for a government backed loan through the Students Loan Company
  • You will need to pay full fees if you cannot prove residency in the EU over the past 3 years, for example if you're on a visitors visa
  • If you do not have a National Insurance number (and you are not an Asylum Seeker)
  • In all cases, if you are not able to meet course fees, ELATT has a bursary application process.


Course Fees

  • If your course is for 6 weeks you must pay your fees in advance
  • If your course lasts longer than 6 weeks you must pay for your course in two instalments
  • Included in your course fee is a £30 administration fee
  • All cancellation charges are payable immediately.


  • ELATT has a small pot of funding for those students in need, who aren't eligible for fully funded and part funded courses. Some bursary funding is specifically allocated for certain groups highlighted in the Equality and Diversity policy. Some bursaries are also saved for certain groups by the bursary funder (for example, in the case of a scholarship)
  • In order to access the bursary, you will need to make an application via our Financial, Debt and Welfare Advisor, who will make an assessment of the your financial capability to pay course fees
  • You will also be required to have an additional meeting with a member of our Information Advice and Guidance team to establish other areas of need
  • You will have to provide evidence of these needs. Examples of this evidence is payslips, family members' financial records, doctor/specialists' reports and any other reasonable evidence required
  • The Financial Advisor and Information Advice and Guidance Advisor will make a formal recommendation to ELATT's Senior Management Team, who will make the final decision. Please note you can only make one application for a bursary per academic year. 


Please note: This policy will be reviewed annually or when any new funding rules are put in place by the government. The last update was made on 1st April 2016

View payment options